The ocean is a fascinating place.
Artists have been inspired by the sea for centuries! You can find spectacular examples created by artists around the world.
Do your kids know about The Great Wave?
Not many people know that it's not a painting! It's a woodblock print. Katsushika Hokusai carved the image into wood, and made color prints from the impression.
Hokusai was a Japanese artist during the Edo period, and he was was quite a character!
This month in The Studio we'll be looking at The Great Wave in depth, and getting to know Hokusai and all of his quirky eccentric ways.
- The history of Japanese art
- The process of making a woodblock print
- Other prints in Hokusai's 'Thirty-six views of Mt. Fuji' series
- and more!
If you'd like to introduce your kids to this art, but you don't know where to start, I invite you to check out how we study art in The Studio membership!
It's going to be such an AMAZING month! We'll start our study on Monday, August 6, and members of The Studio will receive an easy to follow lesson plan each Monday!
Each month we follow the same outline:
- Week 1- Introduction and overview
- Week 2- Going deeper (focus on one aspect of the art)
- Week 3- Connecting the dots (relating it to other subjects)
- Week 4- Review and explore more
Enrollment is open! Come join us and see how much fun you and your kids can have with art!
If you are new to Art History Kids, and you haven't heard about The Studio... let me tell you a little bit about it!
The Studio is a monthly membership that helps you cover a new art history topic with your kids each month– effortlessly!
Your Membership Works Like This... You get:
- A new fun theme to explore each month. We look at art from lots of different time periods, and from artists all around the world.
- Easy to follow lesson plans delivered each Monday. Begin your week with creativity! It's effortless with lesson plans from The Studio greeting you each Monday morning. You'll practice the art of conversation with pre-planned discussion guides and chat prompts that will lead you in some great art talks with your kids. Never wonder which book to read! Book lists are all researched for you. And, your kids will love the open-ended project ideas every week. They're always process-oriented, so the artistic journey is more important than the destination. Finally, you'll learn to implement The One Thing Theory. It's my secret trick that banishes homeschool overwhelm for good!
- Personalized feedback from me. Email me any time. I'll usually get back to you the same day.
- Access to Welcome Week. When you join, we'll spend a week looking at different aspects of the membership, and you'll get a guided tour to walk you through everything. I'll also share tips on how to set up an amazing art area for your kids, and how to store all of their masterpieces in an easy and organized system.
- Access to several months of archived lessons. There will be several months of previous activities waiting for you in addition to the current month's topic.
Here's what members are saying:
You can read lots more about The Studio, and if you feel your kids (and you!) would like to try it out, you can join us in July. There's no long term commitment... your membership is month-to-month, and this month only you'll have a chance to preview the membership for a full week before you are charged! See if it's right for you and your kids, and let me know if you have any questions. I'm always here to help.